St. Turibius Chapel

2014

All of the aspects completed in St. Turibius since 2006 are part of a larger vision for a restored and “beautified” main chapel for this historic seminary. It is important to emphasize the notion of “beautification” because the Church has always desired that the revelation of Beauty be ever-increased in her sacred architecture. It is intended with the proposed complete vision of St. Turibius chapel that—with a close study of its contribution to Catholic architecture and liturgical arts in 1931, and with a serious dedication to the Church's time-honored notion of organic development—it express even more profoundly God's Beauty for our future priests. Elements such as a decorative theme incorporating restored murals by Gerhard Lamers, new decorative porcelain floor, a hierarchical focus on the altar and the Mass by a proper use of scale, material, and decoration, and a restored focus on the prayer life of the seminarians and faculty through the use of recognizable Catholic symbols and liturgical furnishings shall all be incorporated into this landmark chapel for the highest forms of Catholic rites.

Currently the chapel is undergoing renovations. The final designs for the interior of St Turibius are being completed with review and approval by the Rector and chapel committee forthcoming. This is an important process in which we are assisting with great anticipation and excitement.

The sanctuary mural is by German immigrant artist Gerhard Lamers completed in 1937. Lamers was responsible for liturgical murals throughout the Midwest and especially in the Columbus and Cincinnati regions. The mural was covered with grey latex paint during the 1988 renovations.