St. Colman of Cloyne

St Colman Church in Washington Court House, Ohio, was built in 1885 and extended with a new apse in 1958. Washington Court House is 40 miles southwest of Columbus. The church is a lovely victorian gothic structure with fairly sensitive collegiate gothic additions. The church was in need of some repair and the client wished to unify the 1885 and 1958 interior with a new gothic scheme.

Our intent here was to introduce gothic elements that reinforce the verticality in the apse while continuing to use the horizontal wainscoting. New riddle posts, dossel screen, tryptich, and tester all help carry the eye upwards. The general paint scheme includes new floral motifs based on gothic precedent especially at the vaulting ribs and bosses.

2014